Flea powders for dogs are formulated to kill fleas on contact and prevent them from re-infesting on your dog’s skin. They can be sprinkled directly on your dog’s fur or put on their food. They can also be sprinkled on pet bedding, carpets, and other areas of the house to eliminate fleas and repel other insects, such as flies and bugs.
If you need additional help in combating fleas, take a look at our list of the best flea shampoos for dogs.
We looked over dozens of flea powders for dogs in search of the products of the highest quality that guarantee good results. We took into consideration the nature of ingredients, price, Amazon ratings, and what customers had to say about them before making a final decision. Finally, we rounded up 5 best-rated flea powders for dogs you can use to fight off fleas.
After careful consideration, we identified NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets as a top choice. This natural powder is made of a combination of thyme, lemongrass, and rosemary oil that helps repel fleas and at the same time eliminates excessive oil on your dog’s skin. It can be used as often as needed and it doesn’t interfere with other topical medication you may use. It’s also suitable for pet bedding.
In This Article
- The 5 Top-Rated Flea Powders for Dogs
- Our Top Pick: NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets
- Our Runner-Up Pick: Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade
- Best Budget Pick: Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Powder For Dogs
- Best Flea Powder for Puppies: Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder
- Best Natural Flea Powder for Dogs: American Pet Botanicals Skin Parasite Dust
- Who Should Buy a Flea Powder for Dogs
- Important Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Flea Powders for Dogs We Reviewed
- Natural Flea Powders
- Oral Flea Powders
- Flea Powders for Carpets
The 5 Top-Rated Flea Powders for Dogs
|Best Overall||NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets||3.2|
|Runner Up||Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade||4.5|
|Best Budget Buy||Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Powder For Dogs||3.4|
|Best Flea Powder for Puppies||Zodiac Flea & Tick Powder||3.9|
|Best Natural Flea Powder for Dogs||American Pet Botanicals Skin Parasite Dust||3.1|
*Ratings are from Amazon at the time of publication and can change
Our Top Pick: NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets
NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets is a natural and efficient way of dealing with fleas, according to the customers. This flea powder features a combination or rosemary oil, thyme, and lemongrass to help repel fleas and absorb excessive oil on your dog’s skin. Apart from that, it has a pleasant scent and it works great in deodorizing your pet. It doesn’t contain harmful chemicals and it can be used as often as needed without fear of endangering you dog’s health or your own. The powder is suitable for pets that are older than 6 weeks.
Flea powder by NaturVet can also be sprinkled on any type of pet bedding, including pillows, blankets, and foam beds to achieve a better effect of keeping fleas at bay. It’s easy to use – simply apply it to your dog’s neck and body, around the ears, and on the tail. This powder doesn’t interfere with other skin products, so you can combine it with other topical medication you may use. NaturVet products are vet-formulated and FDA-audited to ensure safety and quality. According to the reviews, the powder takes some time to produce results, but it’s extremely effective in fighting off fleas and preventing new infestations. You can get NaturVet flea powder for $12.
NaturVet Herbal Flea Powder for Pets Key Features:
- Combination or rosemary oil, thyme, and lemongrass
- Helps repel fleas and absorbs excessive skin oil
- Pleasant fragrance
- Non-toxic, vet-formulated
- Doesn’t interfere with other spot-on products
- Suitable for any type of pet bedding
- Suitable for pets over 6 weeks of age
Our Runner-Up Pick: Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade
Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade has many uses, and one them involves an efficient eradication of parasites. This product is composed of ground remains of diatoms, a type of algae that forms in freshwater. It’s free of additives and chemicals and it’s listed with the Organic Minerals Research Institute (OMRI) for organic use.
This powder is mined in Nevada and packaged in Georgia. It comes in a 5-pound airtight bag and it includes a powder duster that allows easy application. According to the reviews, it eliminates fleas in 2-3 days and it’s also efficient against ants, spiders, and roaches. It can be applied on your dog’s food, inside and outside the house, and it’s suitable for human use. You can get Harris Diatomaceous Earth powder for $18.
Harris Diatomaceous Earth Food Grade Key Features:
- Made of 100% ground freshwater diatomaceous earth
- No additives or chemicals
- OMRI-certified for organic use
- 5-pound airtight bag with a powder duster
- Eliminates fleas, ants, roaches, and other parasites
- Safe for pets and children
- Suitable for human use
- Made in the USA
Best Budget Pick: Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Powder For Dogs
Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Powder For Dogs eliminates fleas, ticks, and lice, and it can be used on your dog and on the pet bedding. According to the customers, it gives results quickly and its effect lasts up to 7 days. To use, simply dust your pet from head to tail, making sure that you treat legs and paws as well. Also, massage the powder through the fur to the skin. If needed, you can repeat the process every week.
Based on reviews, flea powder by Hartz kills adult lice, but not the eggs, so you should bear this in mind if you plan to use it for eliminating lice. Also, the flea powder is water-resistant and said to have a pleasant smell. It’s intended to be used by dogs only, and those that are at least 12 weeks old. Flea powder by Hartz is available at the price of $10.
Hartz Ultra Guard Flea And Tick Powder For Dogs Key Features:
- Kills fleas, ticks, and lice
- Lasts up to 7 days
- Suitable for dogs only
- Intended for dogs that are 12 weeks of age or older
- Made in the USA
Best Flea Powder for Puppies: Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder
Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder has a mild formula that kills fleas fast, but it’s suitable for dogs with sensitive skin, puppies, and kittens. It has a shaker top to make the application easier. The powder has a long-lasting effect and it prevents the parasites from spreading around.
According to the reviews, flea powder by Zodiac has a mild and a pleasant scent, and its formula doesn’t cause skin irritation. It’s effective on cats and kittens as well, and it helps eradicate ticks and lice. You get a pack of 3 6-ounce powders. Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder is available at the price of $30.
Zodiac Flea and Tick Powder Key Features:
- Eradicates fleas, lice, and ticks
- Suitable for pets with sensitive skin
- Suitable for dogs, puppies, cats, and kittens
- Shaker top
- Mild and pleasant scent
- Pack of 3 (6 oz)
Best Natural Flea Powder for Dogs: American Pet Botanicals Skin Parasite Dust
American Pet Botanicals Skin Parasite Dust is formulated with certified organic herbs and it doesn’t contain toxic ingredients. According to the reviews, it acts very fast and it kills fleas within 1 week of treatment. Its effect lasts until the first washing and you can repeat the application if necessary. The flea powder is suitable for dogs with sensitive skin and it eliminates skin redness and irritation.
This flea powder has a shaker top to facilitate the application process. It can also be sprinkled on pet bedding and carpets to intensify the effect. The powder comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and you can get it for $22.
American Pet Botanicals Skin Parasite Dust Key Features:
- Made with certified organic herbs
- No toxic ingredients
- Lasts until the pet gets wet
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive skin
- Can be used on cats
- Shaker top
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Made in the USA
Who Should Buy a Flea Powder for Dogs
Flea powders are an alternative to other flea treatments, such as flea sprays or collars, and they can be extremely efficient in some cases. Every dog is different and there isn’t a single product that can fix all the problems caused by fleas. Some flea troubles are easily resolved with the help of flea powders, while for others you may need to try out various products until you find the one that works. It’s important to remember than you should only try out one flea product at a time. If you wish to learn about other ways to keep fleas under control, check out our article on how to get rid of fleas on dogs.
Flea powders have many advantages and they can be a better option than flea sprays, for example, as sprays can be too noisy for dogs. Flea powders are formulated to eradicate fleas, ticks, lice, and other parasites. Most of them are EPA-approved and don’t contain toxic ingredients that may be harmful for your pet’s health. They are easy to use and can be sprinkled either on pets’ food or on the pet bedding, carpets, and other areas of your home to prevent parasites from spreading. They kill parasites on contact and prevent re-infestations.
Important Features to Consider
A good flea powder for dogs should do several things well. Here’s what to consider when purchasing a flea powder for your furry friend:
- Different types. Some flea powders are designed to be taken orally, while others are dusted directly on the dog’s body or they can be sprinkled on carpets, pet bedding, and other areas of your home to eliminate the fleas that try to escape. Only 10% of the flea population, mainly comprised of adult fleas, actually reside on your pet, while the rest consists of the flea eggs and larvae that are most often found on the carpets, in the bedding, and in other areas of your home. Although most flea powders target only adult fleas, there are those that offer protection by preventing flea egg development as well.
- Natural ingredients. Most brands use ingredients that are free of harsh chemicals and safe to use on your pet. Natural products have a mild formula that won’t cause irritation in dogs with sensitive skin. While many flea powders should be used only on adult pets, some are also suitable for puppies and kittens.
- Compatibility with other medication. If your dog is already using some type of medication, be sure to check whether a flea powder can be safely combined with it, and that it doesn’t interfere with any kind of topical medication that your dog may be using.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is flea powder for dogs and how does it work?
Flea powder for dogs is formulated to kill fleas, ticks, and other parasites that your dog has trouble with. These powders contain insect neurotoxin, a substance that attacks central nervous systems of these parasites, and consequently, eliminates them. You apply the flea powder by dusting your dog from head to tail and massaging the powder through the fur to make sure that it reaches the skin. The powder poisons the fleas once they eat it, and in most cases, kills fleas on contact or several hours later. Other types of flea powders are taken orally to protect your dog from fleas, and while some of them only kill existing fleas, others inhibit future life cycles and prevent new infestations.
How long does it take for flea powder to work?
Most flea powders kill fleas on contact or within a few hours, but you need to be persistent and treat the surrounding environment as well to completely get rid of the fleas. The entire process can last for several weeks if needed. The powder is effective until the dog gets wet, unless it’s water-resistant.
How much flea powder should I use on my dog?
Every flea product comes with notes on proper dosage, so be sure to read them before you start treating your dog with the powder.
How often should I use flea powder for my dog?
This will depend on the product that you use, but you may need to repeat treatment every few days up to every few weeks.
Other Flea Powders for Dogs We Reviewed
We looked at 20 other flea powders for dogs. Even though they didn’t make our top 5 best flea powders, they’re the best of the rest and and each is still a great option for your dog. The information you’ll need to compare each one is included with the listing.
- Natural Flea Powders
- Oral Flea Powders
- Flea Powders for Carpets
Natural Flea Powders
Flea powder by Natural Chemistry is made with natural cinnamon oil and it repels fleas. ticks, and bed bugs. It’s sprinkled directly on the dog.
- Formulated with natural cinnamon oil
- Kills fleas, ticks, and bed bugs
- 6.88 oz
This flea powder is made from food-grade diatomaceous earth and it’s free of toxins, preservatives, chemical insecticides, or sulfates. It can be sprinkled directly on the pet or on the bedding, carpet, furniture, and other areas your pet spends time in.
- Made from food-grade diatomaceous earth
- No toxins, preservatives, chemical insecticides, or sulfates
- Can be sprinkled directly on the pet or on the bedding and around the house
- Sprinkle-top for easy application
- 8 oz
This EPA-registered powder works against fleas, ticks, lice, and mites, and it eliminates these parasites on contact. It can also be used on carpets and in the yard.
- Eliminates fleas, ticks, lice, and mites on contact
- Can be sprinkled on the carpets and outside the house
- Container equals 4-6 applications depending on animal size
This organic powder is sourced from one one of four freshwater type (Amorphous Silica) food-grade deposits in the United States. It keeps the parasites at bay whether and it promotes intestinal health in pets and humans.
- Made from pure freshwater diatomaceous earth (Amorphous Silica)
- Professionally packaged with stainless steel machinery
- OMRI-listed for organic use
- Eliminates parasites
- Promotes intestinal health in pets and humans
- 1 lb
Flea powder by Wise Ways Herbals is made from diatomaceous earth sage and yellow dock powders, eucalyptus tea tree, and other essential oils. It’s applied on pet bedding and floors.
- Made from diatomaceous earth sage and yellow dock powders, eucalyptus tea tree, and other essential oils
- Designed to be used on pet bedding and floors
- Pleasant scent
- 3 oz
This chemical-free flea powder is formulated with geraniol, a natural extract of the geranium plant, and peppermint oil, which work together to repel fleas and ticks. It can be sprinkled on your pet, around the house, and in the yard.
- Combination of geraniol and peppermint oil
- Attacks ticks, adult fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae
- Can be sprinkled on the furniture and in the yard
- 8 oz
This flea powder kills fleas and ticks and is free of pesticides. It can be used on pets and pet bedding.
- Repels fleas and ticks
- No pesticides
- Herbal scent
- Suitable for use on pets and pet bedding
- 4 oz
Oral Flea Powders
This oral powder works as natural flea prevention and it supplies your dog with amino acids. It promotes good health and it can be used on pets of all ages.
- Natural flea prevention
- Contains protein, B vitamins, minerals, and amino acids
- Promotes good health and proper development
- Suitable for pets of all ages
- 16 oz
This flea powder is formulated with a blend of garlic, dark brewer’s yeast, B vitamins, minerals, and special nutrients that work together in making your dog less attractive to fleas and ticks. It’s put on your dog’s food and it has human-grade certificate, without insecticides, chemical preservatives, salt or sugar.
- Features a blend of garlic, dark brewer’s yeast, B vitamins, minerals, and special nutrients that repel fleas and ticks
- Taken orally
- Human-grade certificate
- No insecticides, chemical preservatives, salt or sugar
- Works against mosquitoes and black flies
Sea kelp organic powder is a daily supplement for dogs and cats that provides natural flea prevention, supports teeth health, and soothes skin allergies.
- Works as natural flea prevention
- Rich with minerals and fibers
- Boosts immunity
- Supports teeth health
- Alleviates skin allergies
- No artificial ingredients, fillers, or preservatives
- 4 oz
Flea Powders for Carpets
Adams carpet powder doesn’t only target adult fleas, but also flea eggs and flea larvae. It contains an insect growth regulator (IGR) to kill and prevent flea development for up to 30 days.
- Kills ticks, adult fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae
- Insect growth regulator kills and prevents flea development for up to 30 days
- Breaks the flea life cycle and controls re-infestation for up to 365 days
- Citrus scent
- 16 oz
This flea powder is designed to kill fleas that reside in the carpets and to prevent new infestations for up to year. It targets all 4 stages of the life of fleas: eggs, larvae, pupae and adults.
- Kills fleas and ticks
- Targets adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, and flea pupae
- Designed to be used on carpets
- Kills on contact
- 16 oz
Flea powder by Enforcer is designed to kill fleas, ticks, lice, ants, silverfish, and roaches. It works on all types of floors, floor coverings, and upholstered furniture.
- Kills fleas, ticks, lice, ants, silverfish, and roaches
- Can be used on all types of floors, floor coverings, and upholstered furniture
- Breaks the flea life cycle
- Fresh linen or ocean breeze fragrance
Flea Stoppers carpet powder kills flea larvae and adult fleas in 3-5 days. It’s made from specially formulated boric acid. A single application is sufficient for 1 year.
- Kills flea larvae and adult fleas in 3-5 days
- Formulated with boric acid
- Single application lasts a year
- Shaker top for easy application
- 5-pound container covers approximately 2000 square feet
- 1-year money-back guarantee
This flea powder is formulated to eradicate fleas, roaches, and ants. It’s odorless and it doesn’t leave stains.
- Kills fleas, roaches, and ants
- 2 packs
Flea powder by Natural Care kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, and ants on contact. It’s made from natural extracts of mint oils and geraniol.
- Kills adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, and ants on contact
- Made from natural plant extracts (mint oils and geraniol)
- Suitable for carpets, rugs, upholstery, or pet bedding
- Safe to use around dogs and cats 12 weeks or older
- Made in the USA
- 8.1 oz
This flea powder for carpets dehydrates and kills fleas at the larval stage, thus eliminating the flea infestation from your home within 10-14 days. It’s made from boric acid and a single application can protect your entire home against fleas for a full year.
- Dehydrates and kills fleas at the larval stage
- Gives results within 10-14 days
- Made from boric acid
- Single application provides protection for a year
- Vacuum 2 weeks after application
This carpet powder kills all stages of the life of fleas – adult fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, and flea pupae, while also killing brown dog ticks. It prevents re-infestation for 7 months.
- Breaks the flea life cycle and it kills brown dog ticks
- Controls re-infestation for 7 months
- Potpourri scent
This flea powder is formulated with 5 natural essential oils: clove oil, lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, cinnamon oil, and sesame seed oil. It repels ticks, adult fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae when applied to carpets, bedding, and upholstery items.
- Combination of clove oil, lemongrass oil, cedarwood oil, cinnamon oil, and sesame seed oil
- Repels ticks, adult fleas, flea eggs, and flea larvae
- Can be applied to carpets, bedding, and upholstery items
- Treats up to 550 square feet
- Repels parasites up to 30 days
- Made in the USA
Flea powder by Zodiac kills all stages of the flea life cycle: flea eggs, flea larvae, pupae and adult fleas. It controls re-infestation for up to 12 months.
- Kills all stages of the flea life cycle: flea eggs, flea larvae, pupae and adult fleas
- Controls re-infestation for up to 12 months
- Treats up to 400 square feet
- Fresh citrus scent