You have picked your manufacturer new kitten from a litter, and you are now all set to deliver him dwelling. You naturally want to give him the greatest doable begin in everyday living. In this article are 10 ideas to enable him acquire into a confident, affectionate grownup cat who’ll give you years of stress-totally free satisfaction.
1. Make sure you are entirely organized for his arrival. Have his toys, meals, litter box, scratching post and bed all ready for him. This will help him to settle in much more promptly.
2. Cope with him – a ton. If kittens are dealt with a lot when they are younger, they get utilised to it and find out to get pleasure from it. As a end result, they’re much much more likely to turn into affectionate adults that love to be cuddled and stroked. Your new kitten should often be taken care of gently. If you have youthful children, you will have to have to supervise them with Kitty at very first, to make certain they don’t unintentionally harm him.
3. Get him made use of to getting daily care from you. This contains grooming him, washing his facial area, bathing him and cleansing his ears and eyes. If he receives comfy with all this when he’s a kitten, you will have number of issues with it when he is an grownup.
4. Securely introduce him to the day-to-day points that will sort part of his planet as before long as doable. This may well include other persons, children, other pets, travelling in your motor vehicle, boarding at your sister’s household when you go on holiday break and many others. etc. Performing this will transform him into a self-confident, pleased, adaptable grownup.
5. Engage in with him and chat to him each individual working day. Bored kittens and cats often look for amusement in actions that you would not be way too eager on, this sort of as destroying the furnishings. Playing with your kitten will establish your partnership with him and assistance to protect against boredom.
6. Feed him a broad assortment of foodstuff that are suited for kittens. This will get him applied to a assorted diet plan, and lessens the hazard of him becoming a gourmet cuisine snob who’ll only try to eat contemporary wild salmon caught in the Scottish Highlands…
7. Carefully and calmly established boundaries. Kittens are like youngsters – they are going to thrust their luck to see how substantially they can get absent with. Frequent naughty kitten actions consists of scratching, biting, leaping on the kitchen area worktops, scratching the furniture and abseiling the curtains. If your kitten is remaining naughty, halt him, say “no” (you should not shout) and move him away from the scene of his criminal offense. It is really a great deal less complicated to practice a new kitten to be good than an adult cat, so placing the boundaries while he is youthful can save you a long time of stress in the foreseeable future.
8. You should not give in to vocal blackmail. Some kittens try out to get what they want by meowing non-cease. If you hold giving in to this, your kitten will convert into a really vocal adult cat who’ll push you nuts with his continuous noisy calls for.
9. Preserve him safe. Horrible frights – for illustration falling down the toilet, currently being tormented by a kid or acquiring a canine bark in his confront – will have a negative impression on him. The additional disagreeable encounters he has as a kitten, the additional most likely he is to come to be a nervous, mistrusting adult.
10. Take that your new kitten is a newborn with hundreds of electricity. While you can discourage him from acts of willful destruction, you’ll need to take that your household is not likely to survive completely unscathed. But hey, he’s worthy of it!
Supply by Liz Allan