Bee Stings 101: How to Help Your Pet

Bee Stings 101: How to Help Your Pet

Dogs can be trained to fetch slippers and race through tunnels in agility classes, but it's next to impossible to teach them to stay clear of becomees, wasps and hornets.

bee-stings-101-how-to-help-your-pet

That's because dogs and cats investigate the world using their noses and paws - the two prime targets of insect stings.

We spoke to Dr. Arnold Plotnick, DVM, of Manhattan Cat Specialistsin New York City, and  Paul Richieri, DVM, owner of the Melrose Veterinary Hospital in California, about what you should do if your dog or cat does suffer an unfortunate sting - and how you can reduce the risk of a bite in your backyard.  

How to Handle a Bee Sting

In most cases, there will be mild swelling and tenderness where the dog or cat was stung, usually on the face or paws, says Dr. Richieri, adding, “if it is swollen and a little puffy, it is a localized reaction to the sting.”

To stop the venom from spreading, try to remove the stinger as quickly since possible.

“The stinger can pulsate venom into a dog or cat for up to two to three minutes after being separated from the bee,” Dr. Plotnick explains. “Removal of the stinger should be done using a credit card to scrape it out. Do not try to squeeze the stinger out with your fingers or use tweezers because the venom sac may rupture, further exposing the pet to more venom.”

bee-stings-101-how-to-help-your-pet-1

Monitor your pet to make sure that the swelling does not increase or spread. And contact your veterinarian, who will most likely advise you to give your family pet Benadryl (diphenhydramine), an over-the-counter antihistamine. Dr. Your vet needs to instruct you on the correct dosage, based on your pet's weight. You also need to ensure that the product contains only diphenhydramine.

To reduce the swelling, apply a cold compress. You can run a washcloth under some cool tap water and then wrap it around or press it onto the site of the sting.

How to Know When Your Pet Needs Emergency Care

Some dogs and cats may be allergic to bee stings, and they can go into anaphylactic shock (and even die) if they don’t receive immediate veterinary attention.

“If your dog gets stung by a bee and starts vomiting within five to 10 minutes and his gums become pale, that’s when you know they are going into anaphylactic shock,” Dr. Richieri says. “At our clinic, we see one or two dogs a week with severe reactions, and we treat them with IV fluids to prevent shock and give steroids and Benadryl injections into the bloodstream immediately. They normally need to stay at the clinic for 48 hours before we determine if they are healthy enough to go home.”

bee-stings-101-how-to-help-your-pet-3
How to Make Your Garden Less Attractive to Bees

Fruit, vegetable and flower gardens need the pollinating power of bees, but there are steps you can take to lessen the chance that your pet will have a painful encounter with one of these winged creatures.

For starters, you can cordon off plants that beckon bees with border fencing that may keep pets at a distance.

California-based master gardener Judy Macomber also recommends planting jasmine - the flowers bloom at night - and zinnias, which attract butterflies more than bees. Or consider crimson-hued roses - bees appear not to be as drawn to the color red.

“When walking your dog on a leash," Macomber adds, "make an effort to keep him off ground cover with flowers because the chances are good that bees will be busy pollinating.”

By PetsCareTip.Com